GSMA is supporting the newly merged Rwandan operator Airtel-Tigo to develop digital and financial services for different agricultural value chains.
Even though Mobile Money is fairly well developed in Rwanda, they noticed that among the rural population usage was low. Could a human-centered value chain approach detect digitization opportunities by leveraging mobile money usage ?
- Key insights were found on farmers’ financial behaviour, but also cooperatives, factory processes and digital usage
- Tea and dairy value chains were mapped, along with information, products and payments flows
- Several high value opportunity areas were found and approved by Airtel-Tigo top management
- Prototypes of SMS and USSD solutions were designed and tested
- Mobile Money training workshop for farmers were held to define ideal settings, content, form, and supporting documents
- UX-UI of mass payment and sms push systems for factories were designed and tested with a Kenyan agritech provider
- UX-UI and clickable prototype of a mobile track-and-trace app for truck drivers was designed